Sunday 11 July 2010

Inspiring

An Illustrated Life by Danny Gregory

David finished work last week and was sent off into the world with two lovely books under his arm, one of which was this inspiring book by Danny Gregory on artists and illustrators sketchbooks.  Ever since I did The Artists Way I've loved peoples creative journals, where inspiration and aspiration meet.  I love the piece above by Christine Castro which features this poem:

"Above all else, it is about leaving a mark that I existed,
I was here. I was hungry. I was defeated. I was happy. I was sad.
I was in love. I was afraid. I was hopeful. I had an idea
and I had a good purpose and that's why I made works of art."
Felix Gonzalez-Torres

In Grayson Perry on Creativity and Imagination, which was broadcast on Radio 4 this week, Grayson talks of having the slogan "Creativity is mistakes" on his studio wall.  I think that's where the sketchbook comes in.  It's a place to explore and experiment and find a voice.  At art college I filled books with current inspiration and ideas.  Now, my sketchbooks are more hit and miss; scribbles in diaries, notebooks, half filled sketchbooks and bits and bobs stuck up around me.  In "An Illustrated Life" there's a real sense of intense creativity.  Over and above the commissions and work for public consumption, there is a joy in the creative process and a labour of love in self-expression.

I really want to start sketchbooking again, but I feel it would take more discipline than I have right now, and more creative space than I can currently afford, or be afforded by my family.  In a sense, this space is my Artists Journal, but I miss the tangible form and feel of a sketchbook.  Cyber sketchbooks don't smell!!

ps.  Have a look at Enormous Tiny Art.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...